Monday, September 27, 2010

Monday Morning Meditation #58: Let's Not Restrain Our Lips

This week I have once again continued on with the psalms and quickly came across a psalm, Psalm 40, that resonated with me. Those who have read my conversion story (which, ironically, I linked in yesterday's post, Spiritual Sunday) will understand the source of the resonance. Since the purpose of MMM is to share my reaction to what I read, not to explain the content in any kind of learned fashion (which is well beyond my set of competences, anyway), I am going to ignore much of the psalm, along with its intent, for I lament nothing about my life either as it is or as it was. So, I shall focus on the words that pulled me in, words that I am taking out of context but which have great meaning for me:
I have proclaimed the good news of righteousness
In the great assembly;
Indeed, I do not restrain my lips,
O LORD, You Yourself know.
I have not hidden
Your righteousness within my heart;
I have declared Your faithfulness and Your salvation;
I have not concealed Your lovingkindness and Your truth
From the great assembly.
Reading: Psalm 40

Meditation: As an extrovert, I have rarely restrained my lips even when perhaps I should. As an atheist, I was outspoken in my atheism. Once I came to faith, I became outspoken in my belief. The shock wave from my conversion rippled worldwide through the circles in which I traveled. It seems to be still rippling for once in a while I still get a letter from someone who knew me as an atheist and has heard my conversion story.

I have no idea who David's "great assembly" was. I do know who the "great assembly" is in my life, and that includes my place of work. Restraining my lips is required there for we adhere to separation of church and state. Nonetheless, there is a way of sharing God's loving kindness without words, with our behavior, which can be every bit as good as and perhaps even better than our words. "Preach the gospel always; when necessary, use words," a saying frequently attributed to St. Francis although some think it unlikely that it came from him and others mark its appearance as occurring two centuries after St. Francis died, is potent advice for it is often more powerful to demonstrate our faith than to express it. I have found that many understand the depth of my faith without my uttering a word, and so, in a sense, I have not restrained my lips -- and when they mention it, then I can freely speak.

As for the general community, if one were to consider that my "great assembly," then sharing God's love is one of my greatest pleasures. With that assembly, I do not "restrain my lips."

Regardless of which "assembly" I find myself, there is one characteristic that dominates. I cannot hide all that God does for me and for those around me on a daily basis, all that God means to me, and the love that flows in both directions. Can you?

Contemplation: That is far as I can go with you this Monday morning. I must retire to private prayer, repenting for times that I have restrained my lips when I should have spoken out with fervor. I will praise God for all that he has given me to share, thank him for the opportunities to do that, and ask for more opportunities and second chances to keep nothing hidden of His grace. Then I will move on to contemplation, my favorite part of the day, letting God take over the direction in which my relationship with Him moves.

I will leave you now to your prayer and contemplation. First, though, I would like to bring to your attention a Monday morning prayer post that you might enjoy:

Fr. Austin Fleming, priest of the Archdiocese of Boston and pastor in Concord, Massachusetts, posts a prayer each Monday morning that he calls "Monday Morning Offering." I enjoy his prayers very much. I hope you also will find them inspirational. He has graciously given me permission to include a link to his blog on my Monday Morning Meditation posts. (During the week, he also posts great homilies and other thoughtful discussions. I enjoy reading those, too.)


For additional inspiration throughout the week, I would point out two sets of blogs: (1) the list of devotional blogs on my sidebar and (2) my blogroll, where I am following a number of inspirational priests and writers about spiritual matters. I learn so very much from all these people. I highly recommend them to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment