Monday, June 13, 2011

Monday Morning Meditation #82: Christopher Interrupted

Rather than my usual Monday Morning Meditation, I feel compelled to give an update on Christopher, the disturbed young man living behind our church, attending our prayer group, and hearing what he things are directives from God that seem very much in contradiction to Scripture at least some of the time (see MMM #81). The issue of how to interact with Christopher has received some clarification this past week.

Last Monday evening, Christopher came to our prayer group. Fr. Jim peeked in and even spent a little time talking to us, but unfortunately Christopher was not there at the time. He arrived late. We conducted our regular activities, which included praying, singing, discussing a spiritual book we are reading, talking to Christopher, and praying again.

The part about talking to Christopher was quite disturbing. We told him that we were coming from a position of love for him and were concerned about his welfare. We pointed out where some of his statements were contrary to Scripture. We suggested that he check his locutions with a priest. His response was always the same. He was happy that he could be among us. God told him to live this way and so he would. He could not talk to a priest because priests did not understand him when he told him that he was God. (Say again?!) He insisted that he did not need to go confession because he never sins. (Yes, say again?!)

We were left nonplussed, but we do love Christopher and are concerned about him. My co-leader and I each decided to ask a priest's opinion other than that of our interim parish priest, who either knows and is doing nothing or is unaware because he is remaining so detached (while our parish priest is in trial for false allegations of sexual misconduct -- see earlier posts on that) from our parish, providing minimal services so as not to "edge in" on our beloved priest, whom we are all actively supporting.

I spoke with Fr. Peter at the chapel near where I work. I attend daily Mass, when I can, with him. He felt strongly that I should bring the full situation to Fr. Jim's situation, including information that Christopher had shared with us in confidence. I caught Fr. Jim after vespers on Saturday and made arrangements to discuss the matter with him on Tuesday. Meanwhile, Christopher will be at our prayer group meeting tonight. I am praying that God will lead us in any discussions with him.

That is far as I can go with you this Monday morning. I now retire to private prayer to ask for guidance this evening and for grace and help for Christopher and for Fr. Jim. Then I will move on to contemplation, my favorite part of the day, letting God take over the direction in which my relationship with Him moves.

I will leave you now to your prayer and contemplation. First, though, I would like to bring to your attention a Monday morning prayer post that you might enjoy:

Fr. Austin Fleming, priest of the Archdiocese of Boston and pastor in Concord, Massachusetts, posts a prayer each Monday morning that he calls "Monday Morning Offering." I enjoy his prayers very much. I think you also will find them inspirational. He has graciously given me permission to include a link to his blog on my Monday Morning Meditation posts. (During the week, he also posts great homilies and other thoughtful discussions. I enjoy reading those, too, as do readers of this blog who have taken the stroll over to his blog.)

For additional inspiration throughout the week, I would point out two sets of blogs: (1) the list of devotional blogs on my sidebar and (2) my blogroll, where I am following a number of inspirational priests and writers about spiritual matters. I learn so very much from all these people. I highly recommend them to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment