Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Concord Pastor on Happiness and Meaning

This must be my week of sending readers to other sites with outstanding posts. I don't usually do that. Yet, for the second day in a row, I have come across posts eminently worth sharing. This particular one I came across a short while back but have not had time to share until now. Many of you who read my Monday Morning Meditations also continue on to read Fr. Austin's Monday morning "coffee" prayers, the link for which I include in my MMM posts. In addition to his Monday prayers, Fr. Austin posts on a wide range of topics, and some of his insights are brilliantly insightful and helpful, especially to those of us who are new converts.

In my book, Blest Atheist, and in my forthcoming book, Believer in Waiting, and in several blog posts, I have discussed the question of why bad things happen to good people. (See, for example, "Bad Things and Good People.")

C. S. Lewis (The Problem of Pain) suggested that we only expect to have a life without pain because we believe in a compassionate God. If God is compassionate, the argument goes, why would He not remove any trouble from our lives so that we can be always happy. Fr. Austin, in looking at the happiness question, points out to us that "happiness" is not what life is about, "meaning" is. Well, I cannot summarize what he has explained more eloquently and articulately. So, please take the time to click on the link and read his post: A Concord Pastor Comments: Happiness and Meaning.

May your life be meaningful always and happy when it should be!

No comments:

Post a Comment