Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sabbath Sunday #30: DWM: Driving While Mexican

Fr. Christian Mathis (Blessed Is the Kingdom) has made the suggestion that we "rest" on the Sabbath by taking a break from our normal blogging and sharing an older post of which we are particularly fond. Rest? Gladly! I don't get to do that very often, but now, thanks to Fr. Christian, I get to do it at least once a week -- and it gives me more time to spend with God, which is a wonderful gift.

For this week, I re-selected DWM: Driving While Mexican, July 11th's post which probably no one got to see because the Blest Atheist blog went down less than an hour after I posted it. I wish I could say that this is an old post and the problem no longer exists. However, it does. The recent disturbances in Oakland over the verdict of a white policeman convicted of manslaughter of a black suspect (the African-American community in Oakland wanted a murder conviction) tells us that even here in California where we think that racial prejudice is a think of the past people still think along lines of race when it comes to critical events. Let's pray for what the Soviets used to call "the light future," but in the broader sense of those words than what the Soviets had in mind.

Have a restful and peaceful Sabbath!

No comments:

Post a Comment