Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Blest Guest Wednesday #5: God Uses Us to Help Humans (Sitka)

Since early August, it has been difficult for me to post regularly although I have somehow managed not to let more than a few days go by between posts. Considering that my crazy travel schedule is definitely going to continue for a few more months, I have been able to bring a little sanity to the blogging part of my life by asking for help. Some wonderful fellow bloggers have been willing to write guest posts for me on Wednesdays, hence the name "Blest Guest Wednesday." As today's "Blest Guest," I asked Andrea Perdue, who comments on Blest Atheist and my other blogs frequently. Her dog, Sitka, a gorgeous Malamute (I could look at pictures of Sitka all day), writes a blog, called All Gods' Creatures, about being therapy dogs in Richmond, Virginia and the things that they (Sitka has a brother, Nanuq) learn. I think you will find Sitka's post here and Andrea's (Sitka's) blog interesting. Here goes:

God Uses Us To Help Humans

Hi, my name is Sitka (Alaskan Malamute). My brother, Nanuq (Samoyed) and I are therapy dogs. We visit hospitals, nursing homes, and other events and facilities. During our visits, we comfort and encourage humans who find themselves in situations of pain, loss, and discouragement. A furry hug means a lot to those who struggle in this life.

One of our favorite hospitals to visit is Central State Psychiatric Hospital, Petersburg, Virginia, U.S. We are the first therapy dogs belonging to humans in the outside world to visit this facility. A couple of doctors and staff members have used their certified therapy dogs, but we are the first from the outside. We are thankful for the opportunity to serve GOD in this facility.

CSH is full of hurting humans. Many of these individuals face challenges with the simplest task. When we enter their environment the response is beyond accurate human description. Nanuq and I bring smiles into lives otherwise plagued with grimace looks. We often provoke conversation from humans who do not speak. There are no words to describe what happens behind the locked doors of this facility.

Nanuq and I are often drawn to different individuals, as they are to us. On our last visit, one man was not sure about me. I sensed he needed to pet me, but I knew he was unsure. I stood, walked to him, and nuzzled my head gently against his leg. He began to pet me and smile. He needed to feel the unconditional love a dog can give.

On several recent visits we have drawn the voice deeply embedded inside a human out. Two different humans spoke recently as a result of our visit. Not only did they speak, but they carried on intelligent conversations. The staff often watch with amazement as Nanuq and I work. They have come to expect miracles when we visit.

Nanuq and I are thankful for the opportunity to encourage and love others during the most difficult times in their lives. We are thankful GOD has given us a valuable job to do and we are thankful our human parents are faithful to continue our training, certification, and give their time to take us to each facility and event.

Woofs and Wags,

Sitka

No comments:

Post a Comment