Monday, September 21, 2009

Monday Morning Meditation #9: Give Me Proof!

I may well be the slowest Bible reader in the world. Another week, another chapter. So many thoughts and images come to mind that I do not want to speed through anything. In chapter 4 of Exodus, which is where I have been living this week, there is much to think about. This is the story of Moses's encounter with God and God's request of him to go to the Pharaoh of Egypt and demand that the people of Israel be released. Quite a tasking, and Moses is a bit overwhelmed by it, as I assume anyone would be!

Reading: Exodus 4

Meditation: Reading this passage, I could not but notice Moses's concern that he had no proof that he had spoken with God. He feared that no one would believe him. Let's face it, if someone today were to relate a similar experience, there would be immense skepticism. No wonder those who have had an extraordinary spiritual experience become a little reluctant over time to relate it. (I have met people who have been favored in this way, but the skepticism with which they meet numbs their tongue, much in the way Moses's tongue was numbed such that Aaron had to speak for him.)

I, too, find myself cautious at moments about the experience I had in being overwhelmed by God's presence, but with God's support, I plunge into the story anyway. Some people believe me; some don't. It truly does not matter since I don't have to lead anyone across the Red Sea. I know what happened. God knows what happened. I share, and the rest is up to the listener/reader -- and God.

I find it interesting that people are more willing to suspend their disbelief (to use Aristotle's terminology) when it comes to all kinds of far-fetched tales related to psychic events, horror stories, fairy tales, and faulty journalism, but if the story is about God, they want proof. This statement is, of course, the pot calling the kettle black since I did test God (unfairly and with far greater temerity than I would now have) when I demanded that if He existed I wanted to feel His presence. (Whew! I have learned over time that His presence can be so overwhelming that it pins me to the spot, but you know, naivete will take you in directions that even angels fear to tread.) And then of course there were the two miracles I asked for as "proof." It only took one to chase me into church; however, God in his great kindness granted both, much as He gave Moses signs to give to the Pharaoh, has given me many miracles since, and has led me to see ones that He had blessed me with earlier but to which I had been blind. I no longer ask for proof, and I am embarrassed that I ever did -- but I guess God has run into that attitude more often not.

And that is far as I can go with you on this Monday morning. I must retire to prayer to ask God to increase the depth of my "willing suspension of disbelief," to express my regret for the times in the past that I demanded proof and, before then, when I failed to see even when I had proof right in front of my eyes, to give thanks for His great kindnesses to me in spite of not deserving them, and to offer praise for the depth of His patience and love even in the face of my disbelief and the disbelief of so many who have ultimately followed and obeyed Him.

After that, I will spend some time in contemplation, hoping and trusting that this great God will continue to infuse me with that which is difficult to believe -- and I will try to become better at believing.

I will now leave you to your prayer and contemplation.

If you pick this up as a weekly devotional activity, please share with me and others your own thoughts about the message of Exodus 4 or any other scripture that you choose for meditation. Feel free to export the image of the mission church; maybe some time in the near future my Internet-inept self will be able to figure out how to use the Mr. Linky buttons. In the interim, you are welcome to use the image and share the meme of Monday Morning Meditation for starting out the work week closer to God.

Have a good day and a blessed week, filled with all good things -- and may God increase your trust so that you do not need proof anymore (if indeed you ever did).

No comments:

Post a Comment