Friday, May 27, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday #60

See more 7 Quick Takes Friday contributions at Jennifer Fulwiler's Conversion Diary.

I am certainly glad that this week is over! Unfortunately, I am likely to feel that way every week until the end of June! Well, read on. The explanation follows.

1. This morning we senior managers learned that we have a major inspection from our headquarters for which we have to prepare and which may (probably will) result in programs being cut. Please pray that all will go well with this inspection the third week of June. Until then, we are preparing all our presentations with many, many rehearsals and several murder boards (aggressively negative questioning by listeners who will be helping us to prepare perfect presentations). Every other day until D-Day we have something due or a rehearsal. Hm...a month of no-sleep days? Is it possible to exist in that manner that long?

2. Yesterday we took our triennial organizational picture. We all gathered in the park and smiled for the photographer. Unfortunately, I forgot that we were taking the picture, and I decided that since I could not do casual Friday this week because of some serious Friday meetings, I would do casual Thursday since I had no meetings on my calendar. I wore a Bahraini dress -- comfortable -- and a Syrian shawl -- warm. Not business attire, however. Now, my ethnic attire will be memorialized on our headquarters wall for three years! Oops!

3. Wednesday afternoon I crashed a party -- in spite of a busy week of somber meetings, I have ended up at a number of parties and lunches. Thank God! That maintained my sanity in an otherwise stressful environment. I was able to attend noon Mass on Wednesday at a local chapel. After Mass, two friends from the secular Franciscan order to which I belong scooped me up and pulled me into the room where they have morning Bible studies. It was the birthday for one of them, and they wanted to share "lunch" (the party leftovers) with me. Fun!

4. I definitely gained weight on Wednesday. (The scale confirmed a two-pound addition, but I lost it in the next two stressful days, which the scale also confirmed. Is that what is known as a yo-yo diet, or is that yo-yo string too short?) After the Wednesday afternoon birthday party, I came home to a cookout at my house for our final Bible Studies class. Too much good eating. Just right amount of good conversation and good friends.

5. Earlier this week I found myself between the proverbial rock and a hard place. My colleague had presented a project that he especially likes to his boss. The project is very problematic. I know that because I know more about the topic than he does, but he did not ask for my input. The CEO turned to me, knowing that this was an area of expertise for me, and asked my opinion. Ouch! Should I support my colleague and lose the respect of the CEO or present my understanding of the truth and risk the resentment and anger of my colleague. I finally decided on the latter; the truth is always the best policy, right? Well, the next morning I get a note from our finance office, telling me that the CEO will not accept the project for funding unless I approve it. I cannot because I think that there are some serious problems with it that can actually harm our organization. Once again, I stated my opinion honestly, this time in writing. Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

6. In spite of this morning's moribund meeting about the coming axe to fall, the rest of today was great. After the meeting, I met some friends for lunch. Willie was my teacher years ago, and has been retired for more than 20 years. He is married to our personnel director, and once a year he and I go to lunch. We joke that I have to ask her to make our date! This year she joined us, and it was such a nice relaxing moment after the dire conversation of the morning.

7. Today day ended on a bittersweet note. My very able, even beloved, assistant of three years, Sean, is retiring, and his wife had arranged a retirement party. My boss's boss said some very nice words, and I presented my assistant with a plaque. The program had the quote from the Bible that says, "Here I am, Lord, send me." I guess that must be his favorite verse. I had asked God to lead me to the right parting words, and that prayer was answered. When I saw that verse, I knew how to end my speech, which had remained unfinished until that point. In ending, I read the verse from the program and added, "God must love me because he sent Sean to me." Sean told me he was very touched by my words, and so did many others. They were not my words, though. They were the words God gave me to say.

And now I am going to look forward to a 3-day weekend! I hope you have a peaceful three days, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment