Friday, May 7, 2010

7 Quick Takes Friday #26

Let's see. What could I share about this week with you and with Jennifer Futwiler, who hosts this meme over at Conversion Diary? That I ended up double- and tripled schedule all week? That on Friday I forgot to bring a gift for my boss's boss who was having a going away party? (I got a couple of enotes about that! Kind of a no-no!) That I went to a Carmelite meeting on Saturday and spent practically all day Sunday doing things like serving cake after confirmation, sharing lunch at the rectory with Fr. Ed and several other folks who worked the confirmation, followed by attending the last session of the "Spirituality for Busy People" taught by Fr. Kevin in Campbell in which I have been participating all year? That I took a friend from Washington DC who is considered one of the top Russian/English interpreters in the USA (works for the White House -- he was the person who recommended that NASA hire me years ago to put together the language program for the then-new International Space Station, one of my most interesting jobs)to the Monterey Bay Aquarium (no matter the profession, everyone loves that aquarium) and then to Mass at Old Mission? That I had some SFO friends over for dinner on Tuesday (not to fear, I did not cook; Donnie did) and lunch with Marine Corps retired colonels, one of whom works for me and the other who was my student and was giving the keynote speech at a conference for which I was responsible? Nope, none of that. Busy, but boring! Well, not boring for me to do, but boring to litanize. Or that I had problems with my pants at today's change of command ceremony? I already shared that (see The Dignity of Woman). So, instead I would like to share 7 interesting books that I have been reading, yeah, pretty much concurrently. I confess to being an inveterate multi-tasker.

1. Baring the Middle East Enigma (John Eckert). Written by a friend of mine, with whom I spent a number of months working together in the Middle East (in both Jordan and Bahrain), this book, with a good deal of humor, describes and even explains the oddities that one runs into in the Middle East. Some of the important information you will learn is why you should stand at least 2718 feet away from the tallest building in the world in Dubai. I recommend this book to anyone planning to go to the Middle East, as well as anyone who is not planning to go to the Middle East but wants to feel as if he or she has lived there.

2. 21 Reasons Bad Things Happen to Good People (Dave Early). As I reported in last week's Quick Takes, I have been using this book with my catechism teens who have serious questions about bad events in their lives. I find the book very insightful, and I love the first chapter, "The Reason No One Wants to Hear." I recommend this book to anyone who is searching for an answer to the question of bad things happening to good people who is not entirely satisfied with Kushner's answer to the same question.

3. Things Hidden (Richard Rohr). Behind my #1 favorite book set of The Cloud of Unknowing and Book of Privy Counseling and #2 favorite author, Fr. Thomas Dubay (whose works I have bored through and pored over -- all of them -- wonderful stuff, especially for those with mystical experience) are the works of Fr. Richard Rohr. I have met Fr. Richard, heard him speak on several occasions, listened to his recordings (I especially like "Cosmic Christology") and read a number of his works. Of the latter, Things Hidden so far is my favorite. The book leaves one with a very different and highly satisfying understanding of Scripture. Rohr calls the Bible a "work in travail" and opens up to the reader a new way of approaching and understanding it. I recommend this book for anyone who wishes to look at Scripture in a new light.

4. Poverty and Joy (Bill Short). Br. Bill is the current director of our local St. Francis Retreat Center. He is also a leading authority on St. Francis. I have enjoyed his retreats and Days of Recollection very much because of his extensive knowledge. A former dean at Santa Clara University, he now teaches theology there. Because he reads multiple languages, including being completely fluent in Italian, he has access to multiple resources for understanding St. Francis, and Poverty and Joy reflects this. I recommend this book for anyone who thinks he or she knows all there is to know about St. Francis. Read and discover even more!

5. Abandonment to Divine Providence (Jean-Pierre de Caussade). I love this book, but it is not easy reading, and I have been reading 1-2 chapters per airplane voyage. I would probably fare better with the original French since the translation I have is stilted and older English. Nonetheless, I persevere because de Caussade has much to say of value to me. One of the main themes of the book is that God hides behind simple, daily activities and finding Him is a matter of total surrender to His will. I find that many of the pages, as I consider the words of the author, bring me spiritual peace. I highly recommend it to anyone for any reason.

6. Celebrations: Rituals of Peace and Prayer (Maya Angelou). Fr. Ed gave me this lovely book for my birthday, and I savor a few pages on each trip I take. I am in no hurry to finish it because then I will have no more poems to read. I find these poems full of hope and recommend the book to anyone looking for some gems of inspiration that can fit into a few, irregularly captured moments of time.

7. Angels on Assignment (Perry Stone). This book was brought to me last week by a friend visiting from Alabama. I have read only two chapters so far, so I will withhold judgment on the book. It has an interesting premise, though, pretty much captured by the book's title. The assumption is that the world is not a safe place, and, therefore, we all need protection, which God does send to us through angels and the Mizpah covenant which forces a protective barrier around loved ones. As I wrote, I am reserving judgment on this one so I do not know whether or not to recommend it. After a few more chapters, I can unreserve my judgment and provide a thumbs up or down.

And there you have it -- seven books for seven days. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment