Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Blest Guest Wednesday #8: Dear Jesus

From time to time, it is difficult for me to post regularly, given my crazy travel schedule, which you can follow, if you have such a liking, in the Twitterlets. I have been able to bring a little sanity to the blogging part of my life by asking for help. Some wonderful fellow bloggers have been willing to write guest posts for me on Wednesdays, hence the name "Blest Guest Wednesday."

As I am leaving for Alaska this week, I am especially appreciative to today's "Blest Guest," Colleen (Thoughts on Grace), who has contributed a letter to Jesus.

Dear Jesus,

Lent has begun. A season of renewal. A time of spiritual growth.

I want to grow closer to you, Lord, and I am not sure how. Usually I try to DO too much during Lent. But I sense that you do not want that from me this year. I sense that you want me to focus more on you, Jesus. To keep my eyes on you.

I sense this because I keep thinking of Mary and Martha. You tell Martha that Mary has chosen the better part - sitting at your feet and listening to you.

I feel that pull, Lord. I feel that call to sit at your feet and listen.

So with that in mind, this is my plan for Lent.

Fasting – I am already on a diet to lose weight, so any dietary restriction seems to be more for me than for you.

Instead, I have decided to fast from complaining. I think I often complain without even realizing it. It can be a habit and I would like to lose this habit! I would like to create a new one! With your grace, Lord. With your grace.

Almsgiving – this one is between you and me, Jesus, OK?

Prayer – Here is where I often set out to do too much. But this year, Jesus, I wish to sit at your feet. Here are some ideas of mine:

Spend more time in silent prayer before you.

Go to daily Mass as often as my work schedule permits.

Read ONE Lenten devotional everyday instead of 3 or 4!

Listen to spiritual music and reflections in the car on my way back and forth to work.

This seems like a simple list. Much simpler than usual, for me. What do you think, Lord? Still too much? Not enough?

Jesus, please guide me over the next 40 days and beyond. Help me to keep my eyes and heart focused on you.

Jesus, help me make it all about you, rather than all about me.

I long to sit at your feet everyday. Not just during Lent, but for the rest of my life.

Jesus, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment